• Product Image
    Harvesting and collecting Lemons
  • Product Image
    Lemon trees near Andalucia, Spain
  • Product Image
    Lemons arriving in bulk for processing

Lemon Oil Spain Citrus limon (L.) Burm. F.

  • Description

    Lemon oil from all corners of the world is one of Ultra’s core products.

    Lemon has a place in many culinary uses from soft drinks and cocktails to marmalade. However, it can also be used and found in household cleaning products since it can disinfect, deodorise, remove grease and dissolve wax and grime to name but a few uses.

    Lemon is also used in aromatherapy to enhance moods and can be used for its anti-bacterial properties in other medicinal applications. In fragrances it gives a fresh uplifting and zesty note to any perfume, as it is highly volatile.

    Interestingly the three top producers of fresh lemons in the world are not the countries we would associate with oil production; the top 3 being China, India and Mexico, which account for over 40% of the world production. The Spanish are the largest within Europe producing around 900,000 MT - 1,000,000 MT of fresh lemons in any given good year.

    There are two seasons in Spain giving them around 9 months of harvesting during the year. The 'Fino' and 'Primafiori' type runs from November to March and the 'Verna' type from April to July. Depending on the year 20-25% of all lemons are further processed.

    Today we associate lemon oil production with Italy and Spain (Europe), Argentina, Bolivia and USA (Americas) and even South Africa who are small producers on the global scale. 

    Spain is Europe's largest producer of fresh lemons and the largest producer of oil.

    Lemon oil is obtained by cold expression or steam distillation of lemon's peel. 

  • Product Details

    • Botanical name: Citrus limon (L.) Burm. F.
    • Origin: Spain
    • Crop Season: November - July
    • Plant/part used: Peel
    • Method of extraction: Expressed / Steam Distilled
    • TSCA CAS: 8008-56-8
    • EINECS CAS: 84929-31-7
    • EINECS: 284-515-8
    • INCI Name: Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) peel oil
    • Appearance: Pale yellow to dark yellow mobile liquid
    • Organoleptic Properties: Fresh lemon peel sweet citrus aldehydic
    • Density: 0.849 - 0.858
    • Refractive index: 1.470 - 1.476
    • Optical rotation: +57º to +70º
    • Chemical constituents: Limonene, Terpinene, Pinene, Sabinene, Myrcene, Citral, Linalool
    • Fragrance usage: max. 10%
    • Flavour usage: max.1%
    • IFRA: Restricted by IFRA
    • Allergens: Contains fragrance allergens
  • Latest Market Information March 31, 2022

    Spanish lemon production represents around 15% of total Spanish citrus output. Spanish lemon production is concentrated in the regions of Murcia and Valencia, and the provinces of Malaga and Almeria in Andalucia. The leading lemon varieties grown are Fino, accounting for 70% of total production, and Verna, a Spanish variety representing the remaining 30%. The Fino variety is predominantly used for processing. Around 25% of Spanish lemon production is destined for industry use as Spain is the second major global industrial lemon manufacturer, mainly juice, essential oils, and dehydrated peel.

    Spanish 2021/2022 lemon production is forecast at 1 million metric tonnes (MMT), a decrease of 11% compared to the previous season. The decline is mainly due to unfavourable weather conditions that affected flowering and fruit set in some production areas, mainly impacting the Verna variety. Lemons for processing are forecast to decrease in line with the decline in production.

    In recent years, Spain increased its total planted area for lemons to meet its domestic and export demands, standing at around 48,000 hectares (ha) in 2020. Of this planted area, 17% is under certified organic lemons. According to the Spanish lemon sector, certifications are key elements to differentiate Spanish lemons and promote economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable lemon production.

    Market price : EURO 13.00 /kilo
  • Product Enquiry

    To ask us a fair quote for this product, please fill the following form:

    Letters and spaces only (3-25 characters)
    E.g.: name@company.com
    Your message should be 10 characters minimum
    Sending Message
  • Documents & Links