Orange Oil USA Citrus sinensis

  • Description

    Orange oil is extracted by simple pressure from the outer coloured part of the Citrus sinensis' peel. Oranges are widely cultivated in tropical and subtropical climates for the sweet fruit and commercially for essential oil extraction. Other origins for Orange oil include Brazil, South Africa & Spain.

    Orange oil is a by-product of the juice industry. Oil is cold pressed from the peel of the fruit, after juice extraction and is widely used across the flavour and fragrance industry. Sweet orange (citrus sinensis) is around 90% d’limonene, a product used across many more industries. Approximately 40% of global oranges are processed for juice and oil with 60% solely used as a fresh fruit for consumption.

    Bearing acreage of orange in the USA is a particular worry as year on year the output has been declining. In the past 10 years it has fallen from around 770 thousand acres to 600 thousand acres today. Below are Florida's recent fresh fruit outputs, courtesy of the USDA, showing the significance of the decline.

    TYPE / SEASON 2011/12 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16*
    Valencia Type (1,000 boxes) 72,500 66,500 51,300 49,400 33,000
    Non-Valencia Type (1,000 boxes) 74,200 67,100 53,300 39,500 36,000

    *2015/16 data forecasted by USDA at 9th February 2016

  • Product Details

    • Botanical name: Citrus sinensis
    • Origin: USA
    • Crop Season: February - May
    • Plant/part used: Fruit/peel
    • Method of extraction: Cold expression
    • TSCA CAS: 8008-57-9
    • EINECS CAS: 8028-48-6
    • EINECS: 232-433-8
    • INCI Name: Citrus aurantium dulcis (Orange) oil
    • Appearance: Yellow orange to deep orange mobile liquid
    • Organoleptic Properties: Orange fresh juicy sweet
    • Density: 0.841 - 0.851
    • Refractive index: 1.470 - 1.474
    • Optical rotation: +94° to +102°
    • Chemical constituents: Limonene, Myrcene, Pinene, Linalool.
    • REACH: Registered
  • Latest Market Information January 23, 2024

    The USA citrus production is forecast at 4.51 million tonnes, up 1% from the prior year. Oranges will account for 2.48 million tonnes.

    The 2023/2024 Florida all orange USDA December forecast is 20.5 M boxes, unchanged from the October forecast. If realised, this will be 30% more than last season’s final production. The forecast consists of 7.50 M boxes of non-Valencia oranges (early, mid-season and Navel varieties) and 13.0 M boxes of Valencia oranges.

    Florida Valencia orange production in 2022/2023 hit a historic low of 9.6 M boxes, in large part due to losses from Hurricane Ian. Because 96% of the Valencia oranges grown in Florida go to juice, domestically produced orange juice (OJ) reached its lowest level in at least 50 years. Historically, Florida’s production accounted for about 85% of the oranges going to processing in the United States. However, Florida’s share of oranges for processing declined to 60% in 2022/2023, with the remaining 40% coming from California and Texas.

    Citrus greening (HLB) has significantly impacted the Florida citrus industry. The disease has caused tree health, yield, and fruit quality to decrease significantly over time. In 2022–23, due to the combined impact of HLB, Hurricane Ian and a freeze in December 2022, the state-wide average yield for both Valencia and non-Valencia oranges was estimated to be approximately 50 boxes per acre, down from 389 and 473 boxes per acre in 2003/2004 respectively.


    Market price: USD 16.00 /kilo
  • Product Enquiry

    To ask us a fair quote for this product, please fill the following form:

    Letters and spaces only (3-25 characters)
    Your message should be 10 characters minimum
    Sending Message
  • Documents & Links